- VA Loans
Designed to offer long-term financing to American veterans, VA mortgage loans are issued by federally qualified lenders and are guaranteed by the U.S. Veterans Administration. The VA determines eligibility and issues a certificate to qualifying applicants to submit to their mortgage lender of choice. It is generally easier to qualify for a VA loan than conventional loans.
Here's how it works:
- 100% financing without a monthly insurance payment.
- 620 minimum credit score.
- A VA funding fee of 0 to 3.3% (this fee may be financed) of the loan amount is paid to the VA.
- When purchasing a home, veterans may borrow up to 100% of the sales price or reasonable value of the home, whichever is less.
- When refinancing a home, veterans may borrow up to 90% of reasonable value in order to refinance where state law allows.
We can assist you with obtaining your Certificate of Eligibility and other VA documents when needed.
Ask us about the VA Streamline (IRRRL) Refinance with no appraisal needed!
VA Maximum Loan Limits
VA does not set a cap on how much you can borrow to finance your home. Effective 1/1/2020, there are no county loan limits for Veterans with full VA home loan entitlement. However, county loan limits still apply to Veterans who have previously used, and not restored, their VA home loan entitlement to purchase, refinance, or construct a home above $144,000.
The basic entitlement available to each eligible Veteran is $36,000. Lenders will generally loan up to 4 times a Veteran’s available entitlement without a down payment, provided the Veteran is income and credit qualified and the property appraises for the asking price.
VA county loan limit:
VA’s 2020 Loan Limits are the same as the Federal Housing Finance Agency’s limits -(click here for 2020 Loan Limits (Effective January 1, 2020))
**For purposes of determining the VA guaranty, lenders are instructed to reference only the One-Unit Limit column in the FHFA Table “Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Maximum Loan Limits for Mortgages Acquired in Calendar Year 2020 and Originated after 10/1/2011 or before 7/1/2007”.